We've been focused on taking the stress out of booking airfare, analyzing billions of flights daily to predict with 95% accuracy whether you should book your flight now or wait for a better price. But what if you don't know where you want to go?
A few months ago, we began testing a recommendation algorithm which offers personalized suggestions about how you could save even more money on your trip. For example, a user watching flights to Maui might get a recommendation that a similar destination, Honolulu, is on sale for their dates for $200 less! We learned quickly that our users are very flexible if it means they'll save money. In fact, users converted up to 2x better on these flexible recommendations in their Notification Feeds than the trips they had initially watched.
Today, we are launching Flex Watch, our next big step in turning the Hopper Bunny into an AI-driven "travel agent." If you don't have a set destination or specific dates in mind, Flex Watch will make recommendations and alert you about incredible flight deals. But unlike deal sites and newsletters that flood your inbox with irrelevant deals to destinations you don't care about, Hopper deals are totally personalized, based on your own preferences and level of date flexibility.
Flex Watch takes all the work out of finding the best flight deals and you'll save over 40% on average. Here's how it works:
1. Specify your level of flexibility. Which month or range of months are you available? And what's your ideal length of trip? For example, you can say that you want to take a trip this fall for 7 to 10 days.
2. Search and set a Flex Watch for the destinations you're interested in. You can be as general or specific as you want. For example, you can search for:
3. Swipe left and right to review destination suggestions along with data-driven advice about which destinations are currently cheapest and which destinations Hopper predicts will drop in price in the future.
4. Swipe up on a destination to view current deals to that destination, plus data about which months are cheapest to fly there.
5. Sit back, relax, and Hopper will send you a push notification about an unbeatable flight deal for a trip that the Bunny thinks would be perfect for you.
To do this, Hopper will be utilizing our real-time feed of 10 to 15 billion flight prices each day and comparing your personal travel preferences with what similar Hopper users are watching and discovering. We also had to develop and train an algorithm unlike any previously created before in the travel industry -- one that gets smarter on its own and learns a user's likes and dislikes.
The more you engage with Hopper, the smarter the Bunny will get! If Hopper doesn't totally nail one of its recommendation for you, just tap the thumbs down button on the Notification Feed and we'll update your preferences accordingly.
Flex Watch will begin rolling out to iOS devices today and will be coming soon to Android devices.